10 Sept 2011

It looks like cake...

it tastes like cake... so I suppose it is cake.

This is the first attempt at my gluten, egg and milk free birthday cake for my son. A good friend of mine, equally food obsessed sent me a range of free from cake recipes. This had the fewest ingredients and simplest recipe so seemed like a logical place to start, when juggling it with a baby's day.

I am yet to find out the source of this recipe, but all credit goes to its creator and I wil endeavour to find out. It was EXTREMELY easy to make, particularly as I have a a new set of measuring cups. You literally just mix the wet with the dry ingredients then bake for 30mins. And I have to say it tastes alright. I was pleasantly surprised. The combination of dark brown sugar and cocoa give it a lovely, fudgey flavour, and it improves the day after baking.

Given that this is my first attempt, I have big hopes for the more complex recipes I have collected each with rather exotic ingredients, such as tapioca and quinoa flours that I am yet to source. In the mean time, I am off this weekend to sample  my most recent find WAG (wheat and gluten) FREE Bakery in Brixton. A complete mecca for Coeliacs where we can eat everything in the shop, I will be sure to try some cake all in the name of research, and let you know the results.

Gluten, dairy and egg free chocolate cake
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour (I used a mixture of rice and buckwheat)
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla essence
6 tbsp oil (vegetable, olive or groundnut)


Recipe
Preheat the oven to 180degrees and grease a 20cm square non-stick cake tin.
Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
Pour in all the wet ingredients and whisk to achieve a batter.
Pour the batter into the cake tine and bake for 25-30mins, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Leave to cook in the tin and remove.

Note: you may find that you need to add a little more water, depending on the flours used. I added about 4 tbsp extra.

Delicious with fresh strawberries and creme fraiche.

1 comment:

Abi (Adventures in Cake) said...

enjoy the WAG free bakery, yum!!!!